Federal and State Grants


Grants are money that doesn't have to be repaid and is usually based on financial need.  They are available from federal and  New York State governments. To Apply you need to file a FAFSA at www.fafsa.gov and a TAP application to receive New York State Aid.

Well over half of CUNY’s undergraduates qualify for federal and state financial aid — and many receive enough to cover their entire tuition bill. In the last academic year, some 170,000 CUNY undergraduates received a total of $770 million in need-based federal Pell grants and New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) awards. This critical aid allowed approximately 100,000 students – more than 58 percent of CUNY’s full-time, undergraduate population – to attend college tuition-free, and even more were able to receive the same tuition benefit by combining their eligibility for partial Pell and TAP with federal tuition tax credits.


Federal and New York State Programs

Grant News

Applying for Financial Aid
Find out what steps you need to take to apply for financial aid. >>

Filing Date for the 2012-2013 FAFSA
Beginning January 1, 2012 you could submit your Free Application for Federal Stu >>

more news