Correcting Your Social Security Card

Get U.S. Citizenship

Individuals who recently became U.S. citizens and individuals for whom both their immigration status and work status in the United States recently changed, should apply for a correction of their Social Security card.  We recommend that all new permanent residents and U.S. citizens notify the Social Security Administration of their change of status, as it is important if you apply for financial aid or other government benefits.  You will keep the same Social Security number.

To obtain your corrected card you will need to:

1) Complete Form SS-5.   (You can obtain one at, or by calling (800) 772-1213.  You can also visit your local Social Security office and obtain one there.)

2) Provide evidence of your identity, immigration status, and work eligibility.  Original documents or copies certified by issuing agency ONLY.  Provide at least one of the documents accepted for each category.  For a list of acceptable documents, see the table below.

3) Take your application and immigration documents to the nearest Social Security office.  The Social Security Administration prefers that you take your documents in person, since they use the United States Postal Service for all mail and cannot track documents that have been mailed.


Proof of Identity*

Proof of
Immigration Status

Proof of
Work Eligibility


Unexpired Foreign passport,

  • Permanent Resident Card

  • I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

  • Employment Authorization Card
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • I-94 Arrival/Departure Record
  • Employment Authorization Card


  • U.S. driver's license
  • State-issued non-driver identification card
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship

Not required


* U.S. citizens without these documents may visit <doc> for a list of substitute

Individuals on student, work or exchange visas may need to provide additional proof of immigration
status and work eligibility.  See <doc>