CUNY Nobel Science Challenge FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
1) What are the basic requirements for essay submissions?
Essays must be your own original and independent work.
Essays will be judged on accuracy, clarity, and accessibility to the general public.
The Challenge is open to all first degree , undergraduate students currently registered in a degree program at CUNY. First place winners from previous years are not eligible for the challenge.
Each student may submit one essay only.
2) What are the formatting requirements?
Essays must be submitted in the following format:
- Portrait page setup.
- 12 pt font.
- Submissions are expected to be 1000-1500 words.
- One-inch (1") margins.
- Submissions may include cited references in any acceptable bibliographic format. Bibliography will not be counted in the word count. You must cite your sources within the text and as a list at the end of the document.
- Submissions must include the student's name
, major (declared or intended), and class standing (freshman, sophomore, junior and senior) on all pages.
- All submissions must be made in either Microsoft Word (.doc or .rtf) or Adobe (.pdf) formats.
Scanned documents will not be accepted.
3) Diagrams, Figures, Images, Charts, and Tables?
Submitted essays may include supplemental graphics and any graphics from other sources must be appropriately referenced in the bibliography. Figure legends or captions, tables or charts do not affect word count.