- Search Job Postings
- Classified Civil Service [+]
- Job Search Process
- CUNYfirst Job System Instructions [+]
- Diversity at CUNY
- Campus Human Resources Offices
Student Jobs [+]
- Chancellor Announcement
- Jobs & Opportunities [+]
- Resources [+]
- Recruit for CUNY's Best
Applying for a Position
The first lines of a sample Job Posting are below. Choose Return to Previous Page to browse other listings. Choose Email to Friend which will let you email the link to the posting, and also add a personal message. If you are logged in, you can also Add to Job Cart or Apply Now.
Select Apply Now; you will be asked how you wish to apply. Unless instructed otherwise, select Upload a New Resume. You will be prompted to select and upload a file. You can also apply through the Job Cart. If you select multiple jobs at the same time, the same resume and application materials will be attached to each job application. For unique responses, apply to one position at a time.
- We accept resumes and other attachments with the following formats:
- Microsoft Word (.doc/.docx)
- Adobe Acrobat (.pdf)
- Text (.txt)
- Rich Text Format (.rtf)
- We recommend resume and all other attachment files not exceed 20 MB each, with a file name of 60 characters or less. The file names should not include special characters such as *:?<>/
- While a resume is required for nearly all applications, other attachments may be included as requested in the job posting. You may upload multiple attachments including a cover letter, supporting material, references, etc.
- We accept only one resume and one cover letter per application.
- To change your resume or cover letter, you must submit another application.
The screens for uploading a Resume and other Attachments are shown below.
To complete your application:
- Some jobs have screening questions. If you apply to a job with screening questions, they will appear on the first screen you see after completing your attachments. If screening questions apply, answers are required.
- You will see additional tab with screens that allow you to enter other information, such as work experience. At this time this information is optional.
- When you have completed screening questions and added other information, click Submit.
- We will ask for self-identification data. This information is not attached to your application and is used for our reporting and analysis. You may select I decline to provide my self-identification.
- Choose a value from the Gender and Ethnicity drop-down menus.
- You will see an attestation statement that states terms and conditions. Read this statement carefully, click on I agree to these terms and then Submit if you wish to complete your application.
You should receive an automated acknowledgement email from our system; there will also be an entry in your User Account showing you have applied to the job. If you have a spam filter, note that correspondence will come from: "cunyfirst-do-not-reply @ mail.cuny.edu".
If there were any other instructions in the job posting, such as sending additional materials via email, remember to go back and follow those instructions. In particular, candidates for faculty positions may receive instructions for providing confidential references.
To change an application after it is submitted:
We cannot remove or change materials that have already been submitted with an application, and while you can go back and view your answers to the screening questions, you cannot change the answers you gave.
You can, however, apply a second time to a position, and we will use the last application submitted. Please try to apply no more than twice to any one job posting. You must re-submit your application before the posting's Closing Date.