Veterans Admissions

Veterans and Future Veterans Banner Flag

The City University of New York welcomes all veterans and future veterans and their families to continue their education at one of our 24 unique institutions. You are considered a veteran at CUNY if you are currently engaged or have previously engaged in active duty of the U.S. Armed Forces for at least one day. Veterans must be released under a condition other than dishonorable discharge.

We have made applying to CUNY easy for veteran applicants through a few simple steps: Explore, Prepare, Apply, and After You Are Admitted.

Step 1: Explore

Discover information on academic programs, student life, tuition and fees, financial aid and more. Visit to get started.

Step 2: Prepare to apply

As a veteran applicant, it is important that you first find out what information will be needed to apply to the college and program of your choice. We recommend that you download and complete the Admission Application Worksheet along with this Quick Guide to Apply for Veterans and Future Veterans. Visit to download these items and review the appropriate information for freshman and transfer applicants.

Determine if you will apply as either a freshman or transfer applicant. Generally, military training is not considered for transfer admission. Applicants who have military training only (in addition to a high school diploma or GED) should apply for freshman admission. 

CUNY Veterans Quick Guide to Apply Thumbnail Download the Quick Guide to Apply for Veterans <pdf>

Apply as a Freshman Applicant

If you have already completed high school/secondary school and have not previously attended a college, university or any postsecondary institution within or outside the United States.

Apply as a Transfer Applicant

If you are currently attending or have ever attended a college, university or any postsecondary institution since completing high school/secondary school. This applies whether or not you are seeking transfer credit and/or changing a program of study.

Step 3: Apply to CUNY

Visit after you have completed the appropriate Application Worksheet. Use your worksheet as a reference to fill in each section of the Admission Application. Review each section for errors, then click the submit button.

After You Apply

Request Your Veterans Fee Waiver
All veteran and future veteran applicants are exempt from paying the Application Processing Fee. To request your Veteran Fee Wavier:

  1. After you submit your Admission Application, select the “PAY LATER” option on the payment screen.

  2. Print your Application Summary Package.

  3. Send a request for a Veterans Fee Waiver via email to with the
    following information:
  • Full Name (as listed on your Application Summary Package)
  • Date of birth
  • Application Control Number (ten-digit number beginning with a W)
  • Indicate whether you are a Freshman or Transfer applicant
  • Indicate the semester for which you have applied (ie., Fall 2011)
  • Attach proof of your Veteran/Military status (ie., DD-214, Current Military ID Card, or Deployment or Pre-separation orders)
  • Include “Veterans Fee Waiver Request” in the subject line of your email

Send Your Supporting Documents
Send your military transcript and required supporting documents to CUNY/UAPC. Visit for more information.

Please Note: During the upcoming 2012-2013 school year, the Army and Coast Guard transcript systems will be merged into the Navy/Marine transcript system. The transcript will be called the Joint Services Transcript of JST. From 2013 the JST will be available for all branches except the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).

Enroll in the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill
Enroll in the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33) or the MGIB (Chapter 30) online at

Apply for Financial Aid

File the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1. Visit for more information.

Apply for Additional Veterans Benefits

  • New York State TAP at
  • New York State Veterans Tuition Award at
  • New York National Guard Tuition Benefit before the deadline (if eligible)
  • G.I. Bill Benefits at your home college by providing a “Certificate of Eligibility” to your college’s certifying official from the VA.

Step 4: after you are admitted

Provide Proof of Military Status
Provide a copy of your DD-214 or DD-2384 (issued by your unit) to your college’s certifying official.

Apply for Veteran Work-Study
Apply for Veteran Work-Study. Visit for more information.

Contact the Office of Veterans Affairs at the College to join your college’s student veterans organization.

Type in a question or keyword above.