New York City Scholarships
New York City council Merit scholarship
The New York City Council Merit Scholarship rewards New York City high school graduates who have proven their ability to succeed academically while they were in high school. For the 2014-2015 academic year the Scholarship is $800 per year ($400 per semester).
There is no separate application for the scholarship. Students are automatically considered for the award when they apply for admission to CUNY.
To qualify you must:
- Graduate from a New York City high school with at least an 80(B) College Academic Average (CAA) average
- Pass at least twelve college preparatory courses in high school
- Enroll at a CUNY college as a full-time student within one year of graduating from high school
- Register as a full-time student each semester (except summer) and maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Attend CUNY before attending any other post secondary institution
Pursuit and Progress
- You must maintain continuous full-time enrollment within the City University of New York system
- In your first semester at least six credit hours of your full-time enrollment must be college credit bearing course work; Future semesters require at least 12 credit hours of college credit bearing work
- You must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Students pursuing an associate's degree may receive the NYC Council Merit Scholarship for a maximum of six semesters. Those seeking a bachelor's degree are limited to eight semesters of eligibility
- The award is not restored once it has been lost