2. Get a PIN

Students and Parents should apply for a federal student aid PIN. With your PIN, you can  "sign" your FAFSA electronically and complete the federal student aid process completely online.   Also you can make corrections to your application once it is filed and access your information online. If you are under 24 years old, it is likely you and one of your parents will each need a PIN. You can apply for a PIN at www.pin.ed.gov. You will use the same PIN to reapply and to access your student aid records each year.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a PIN and what is it used for?

It's an electronic access code that serves as your identifier. Your PIN allows you to:

  • Apply online for federal student aid, using FAFSA on the Web.
  • "Sign" your application electronically and complete the student aid process online. If you're a dependent student and your parents have a PIN, they can sign the application electronically, as well. Signing the application at the time you apply means you'll get your results faster.
  • Make corrections to your FAFSA.
  • Access your Student Aid Report (SAR) and make corrections to it.
  • Access all your federal student aid records online, including federal student loan information. 

When should I get a PIN?

You, and your parent if you’re a dependent student, can apply for a PIN any time. If you don’t have one by the time you fill out your FAFSA, you will be prompted to apply for one when you reach the Sign and Submit page of the FAFSA site. However, if you think the Social Security Administration might have the wrong name or date of birth for you in its records, go to www.ssa.gov to find out how to correct any errors. Your information must be correct before you can get a PIN and your FAFSA can be processed.

How do I get a PIN?

Go to www.pin.ed.gov and provide a few pieces of information such as your name, date of birth, Social Security number, and address.

You will be given the option of creating your own PIN or having the site create one for you. If the site creates one for you, you can choose to have your PIN displayed immediately on the screen. Otherwise, you can choose to receive an e-mail that will give you a link to a site where you can access your PIN. Your PIN will not be sent to you in an e-mail for security reasons. Instead, you will be asked for personal information to identify yourself before your PIN will be displayed.

What if I forgot my PIN?

If you have lost or forgotten your PIN, you can request a duplicate PIN. Because you’ll use your PIN for future FAFSAs and for many different actions regarding your student aid records, we recommend you change your PIN to one you can easily remember.

What if my PIN was lost or stolen?

If your PIN is lost or stolen, you must

  • request a new PIN by selecting Change My PIN on the PIN site,
  • contact Federal Student Aid's Customer Service center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243), or
  • disable your PIN so that no one can use it.