Transfer FAQs

What is TIPPS?

TIPPS (Transfer Information Program & Planning System)

CUNY TIPPS is a university web based tool that contains the following information:

  • Over 30, 000 Undergraduate courses within the City University of New York system.
  •  Resources for students and University Administrators to search for CUNY course information, course equivalencies, registered programs, and transfer policies within the University.  
  •  Articulations between the community and senior CUNY colleges.
  • Accessibility among CUNY colleges via E-permit for current students using the CUNY Portal.  


Who uses TIPPS?

TIPPS is used by Prospective students,    visiting students, International students, Academic Counselors, Faculty by accessing


What are course equivalencies?

Course equivalencies are courses that are evaluated by an Academic or Transfer Advisor from an institution to grant credit(s) to a student whose courses were taken at another institution.  The courses are categorized into different components to determine how their credits will be applied on their transcripts.  Some of these categories are “major elective credit and elective credit.


What are transfer policies?

Policies designed to facilitate the transfer of students from one college to another by accepting courses to accept credit for courses completed with satisfactory grades at other accredited colleges.


What is the CUNY transfer policy for students transferring with an Associate’s degree from a CUNY College to a Comprehensive or Senior CUNY college?

All CUNY transfer students entering into a Comprehensive or Senior college with an AA or AS degree are exempted from completing general education requirements for a baccalaureate degree.


What is the transfer policy for students transferring with a Bachelor’s degree to a community college?

All CUNY students who have received a Bachelor degree from a senior college are automatically waived from any general education requirements and can focus on taking classes that apply to their major.


What are general education requirements?

General Education requirements describe the main courses students must take in order to graduate which are not related to their major or minor.  These requirements may vary within CUNY. There are several categories for example, Humanities, Scientific Inquiry, Global Diversity, Modern Languages and Mathematics. CUNY Pathways will be the new General Education requirement for most CUNY students (from Fall 2013). *See the Pathways website:


What are registered programs?

Registered programs are programs that are officially registered by the New York State and their titles are approved by the State Education Department. A registered program is identified by its college name, program code, program title, degree award. In a majority of cases, these programs are the same as majors.  


What is an E-Permit?

E-permit is a web based process that allows students to file an online request to register for courses at another CUNY college; usually for courses that are not offered at their home school.   


What are cross-listed courses?

These are courses that are shared by two or more academic departments and have identical course elements such as the course number, course title, course description, units, mode of instruction, and prerequisites with the exception of the course prefix which reflects the academic department or program. For example, WMS 278 =Women in History = History of Women WMS 278 shares two Departments, History and Women Studies.


What does Non-Transferable mean?

The course(s) that you searched for cannot be transferred to the CUNY College of your choice.


What should a student do if they disagree with an evaluation of a course in TIPPS?

Contact the CUNY School that you are attending or planning to attend. Speak to a Faculty adviser, who is familiar in transfer credit for that subject area. Always have a copy of the course description, syllabus and official transcript with you for Faculty to review