Veterans seeking freshman status may apply, using the Freshman application, to up to 6 of the CUNY colleges.
Veterans seeking undergraduate transfer status may apply, using the Transfer application, to up to 4 of the CUNY colleges.
Veterans seeking undergraduate non-degree status at a CUNY college should apply directly to the college they would like to attend.
To learn more, visit CUNY's "Prepare to Apply" page for Veterans and Military Personnel.
VETERANS FEE WAIVER
Undergraduate applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves May obtain an application fee waiver by following the steps below. Veterans are exempt from paying the commitment deposit. The college(s) will provide you with deposit information upon acceptance to the college(s).
Complete the following steps to request a Veterans Fee Waiver:
1. Complete an Admission Application to CUNY. Visit www.cuny.edu/prepare to learn what is needed to prepare to apply. After you submit your Admission Application, be sure to select the "PAY LATER" option on the payment options screen.
2. Print your Application Summary Package.
3. Send a request for a Veterans Fee Waiver via email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Full Name (as listed on your Application Summary Package)
- Date of birth
- Application Control Number (ten-digit number beginning with a W that is listed on your Application Summary Package)
- Indicate whether you are a Freshman or Transfer applicant
- Indicate the semester for which you have applied (ie., Fall 2011)
- Attach proof of your Veteran/Military status (ie., DD-214, Current Military ID Card, or Deployment or Pre-separation orders)*
- Include "Veterans Fee Waiver Request" in the subject line of your email
* To fax or mail proof of your Veteran/Military status, please send to:
ATTN: Veterans Fee Waiver Request (include applicant's e-mail address)
CUNY Welcome Center
217 East 42nd Street
New York, NY 10017
ATTN: Veterans Fee Waiver Request
Help Desk for Veterans
Have questions about your waiver?
Please contact us at: vetwaiver@Cuny.edu or call 212-997-CUNY (2869) during normal business hours.<read more>
Veterans wishing to apply to graduate programs should apply directly to the college of their choice. Graduate applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves are exempt from paying the graduate application fee and the commitment deposit. In order to receive your Veterans Fee Waiver, contact the Graduate Admissions Office of the college(s) you are interested in.
Veterans seeking graduate non-matriculated status at a CUNY college should apply directly to the college they would like to attend.
For more specific information regarding the filing of a graduate application, visit Graduate Admissions.
Veteran Status for Educational Purposes
Students have Veteran status if they:
- have engaged in active duty in the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, or Coast Guard, or have served as a member of the National Guard or Reserves and were called to active duty for purposes other than training, or were a cadet or midshipman at one of the service academies and,
- were released under a condition other than dishonorable discharge and had been engaged in active duty for at least one day. Box 24 of the DD214 indicates the "Character of Service."
Students currently serving in the Active Reserve Forces, or entitled to benefits accrued in the reserve component, while not technically veterans, are entitled to certain resources as noted on this site. Contact the veterans affairs representative on campus for more information.
Type in a question or keyword above.
After You Apply Webpage
October 9, 2012
Once you have submitted an Admission Application to CUNY, please visit the After You Apply page to find out what is needed to complete your admission review. >>