Fee Waiver Required Documents

citizenship now events

Fee Waivers for Naturalization

  • Do you receive a means-tested public benefit from a state or federal agency?
  • Is your household income at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines at the time of filing?
  • Do you have a financial hardship situation that you want USCIS to consider when determining your eligibility for a fee waiver?

A fee waiver is available if you answer YES to any of these questions and can document your eligibility.

If you receive a means-tested public benefit, we may be able to help you prepare a Request for a Fee Waiver at one of our citizenship events. If you qualify for a Fee Waiver on another basis, we will review your documents at the event to see if you are eligible for a Fee Waiver and, if so, refer you to one of our immigration centers where you can receive free assistance to prepare the fee waiver application.

Note: The decision whether to waive the fee is made by the USCIS, NOT by our volunteers or attorneys.

Fee Waiver Application Check List:

To assess whether you qualify to submit a Request for Fee Waiver based on household income or financial hardship, bring as many of these documents as possible to the event:

  • NY State Benefit ID Card
  • Copy of award letter from the state or federal agency granting the benefit, e.g. SSI award letter and/or budget letter (if applicable). The award letter must be official and dated within the past six months.
    • If you receive public assistance or SNAP, bring a copy of your most recent approval or recertification letter or to obtain a copy of your benefit award letter before the event call (718) 722-8009.
    • If you receive Medicaid, to request a copy of your Medicaid Award letter, before the event call (929) 221-0865 and ask the representative for a ‘Proof of Medicaid Letter’ for immigration.
    • If you receive SSI, bring a copy of your SSI Award letter or, to request an updated copy before the event call (800) 772-1213.
  • Copy of rental lease or notarized rent agreement with monthly receipts
  • Copy of utility bills (electricity, cable and phone)
  • Copy of Federal tax returns for the most recent year for each household member.
  • Copies of proof of current employment or self-employment such as recent pay statements, W-2 forms, statement(s) from the individual’s employer(s) on business stationery showing salary or wages paid (if applicable)